Pages

Thursday, July 29, 2010

My Grandma

I wanted to write abit  about my grandma was a small women with beautiful white hair she put in a bun.Every summer when I was small I would spend a couple of weeks with her and I always looked forward to spending time with her.She didn't talk a whole lot cause she was always busy.My grandma lived in a Wood cabin that set back a long lane  you had to step on stepping stones in a brook to get to the gate to the yard of her house.My grandma had no electricity no running water and made pretty much everything she needed.I would pump water from a well that she used to cook and clean and bathe.The kitchen was the heart of the house.She had a beautiful cook stove that she kept going .I had the most wonderful meals from that stove.She would send me up in the field past the barn where there were wild raspberries growing,I picked [and ate] raspberries for her to make preserves.Making preserves make the kitchen so hot but the smell and taste was great,peach syrup was my all time favorite so she always had some for me to put on my pancakes it was delicious.In her living room or she called it the parlor.Was an old Victrola she would crank it and listen to music for a while before bed .Since there was no electricity she also had an ice box in the parlor ,the ice man would carry a big block of ice up the long lane and put it in the top to keep everything cold.We milked cows and feed hogs and chickens gathered eggs and fed everything.She had an old bull that gord her in her side and well the bull was sent away for her safety and she was out of bed the next day cookin.She made her own soap which she did in a big kettle in her yard.At night we played domino's or read or played cards.At bath time you got out the big metal wash tub and she heated water on the stove and you bathed in the kitchen.I would look at pictures in the parlor while she bathed and when she was done she would come in the parlor and brush her long white hair till it was dry ,then braid it to the side to go to bed.When bed time came she would get the kerosene lamp and walk me upstairs and tuck me in I would watch the light fade as she walked to her room the light would go out and tired from the day I would sleep like a baby.Everything she owned as made by hand .Everything she did she did with love.She worked everyday to make sure there was food for winter,She picked and caned and stocked up on thins to keep that cabin goin and I miss it so much to this day.Every memory I have is clear and prims take me back there to that kitchen and that parlor and that warm at home feelin I got from my grandmas.Even away from all the necessities I had at home I loved that place.No TV  no radio no fans no spigot to get water from,I loved it.

2 comments:

  1. You have such wonderful happy memories of your Gram to always treasure. I like to put things around the homestead that were my Grams & Paps. They are gone but the treasures I have of theirs give me comfort and remind me of times we shared.
    No one can ever replace the love and time shared between our Grams. They will always be held in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful memories you have with your grandma. My memories of one of my grandma are almost identical to yours. I loved spending time with her. I have lots of things in my home that remind me of both my grandmas. That's the main reason I love antiques so much! Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete